Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Greggy Part 2

I wish I could share with you the wedding of my oldest daughter three years ago.  This is a child I cherish beyond words, so for me to give the details on the wedding might break her heart so I will refrain and save the story for my personal journal.  However, I can share with you my wedding...which happened a long time ago, in a land far...no, right here in Fresno, sort of. 
Back to Greg...Greg and I dated for 3 and a half years, which in Mormon years is FOREVER.  I wasn't allowed to mention the "M" word to the guy, though I could never figure out why this virgin wouldn't jump on the chance to get married and do the married thing (no puns or irreverence intended, it's just the honest truth.)  We'd been Disneyland fans from day one, and during one random visit, he popped the question on the bridge in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle.  He'd carried that darn ring box in his sock achingly all day...what a trooper and romantic.  I said yes right away, we took pictures (strangers willing to snap them of course) which ended up being exposed by a child I love dearly and will no longer continue to punish with my ever-resentful reminders..but it was a happy day.  I remember feeling light as air, I even allowed people to cut in front of me in the lines, whereas any other time I would've "handled my business."  We married 6 weeks later--ah, there's the awakening of the virgin. We should've waited a few months to get married to give us time and money to have a decent reception.  Since my dad and sister had been married that year there wasn't any money left for a reception.  But Greg was not waiting any longer than he had to.  Alas, we had to have an open house.  No biggie...Greg didn't even WANT a reception--huh!  Imagine how I, the bride, reacted to that.  So here's how lame the open house was.  First, the invitations we picked out were meant for people on their 3rd and 4th weddings...completely unconventional, non-traditional, didn't mention the names of the parents so half the invitees were like--who is this again?  Next, we had to have it at my mom's house.  No money...so we had to serve some local Mexican fare on plastic silver platters...mini burritos I think was all.  Dumb, we weren't Mexican, no Mexican theme, where did that come from?  Burritos?  No fruit, no cute frilly platters...burritos and punch.  If you are like me, the food is the driving force behind any function attendance.  BOMB!  Then, I wanted a chocolate cake--again totally non-traditional.  But hey, I like chocolate.  We had a vanilla sheet cake for those weirdos that don't eat chocolate (they should be dragged somewhere and...)  My hair was flat and my make-up practically gone since the wedding was in the LDS Oakland temple, and we had to drive 3 hours back home right away to the reception.  I looked like some lady out of a 1950's catalog whose photo shoot got cut at the last minute because thankfully some other photographer pulled through with a REAL bride.  Of course, it was a mess...half of Greg's family wasn't there...or more than half.  It was too foggy for anyone to want to drive who was over 60 years old.  My nail broke on my ring finger so showing my ring in any photo was a tossed sentiment.  When we finally got to the hotel room it was so awkward I don't remember any of it except for the lone bath I took in the suite's tub.  And yet, here we still are, been together for 20 years and not much has changed except that I've broken Greg down enough to not be embarrassed to buy toilet paper.

No comments: